A runbook is your go-to reference for solving a critical issue. System starts crawling? Server goes dark? When you have a runbook at your fingertips, you are in a much better position to calmly follow a clear set of instructions. It’s your antidote to panic.
A minimum viable runbook (MVR) is a runbook with the highest return on valuable information versus time spent creating it. It is designed to get you started with something small yet impactful.
Take these steps to implement a minimum viable runbook:
- Choose a platform that ingests all alerts and chats into a single incident timeline (we recommend VictorOps, naturally)
- Capture all team collaboration related to an incident (use ChatOps methods)
- After an incident, conduct a post-incident review to decipher what happened
- Build minimum viable runbooks based on your findings
- Append incoming alerts with an associated MVR
- Inspect and adapt to keep improving them
- Repeat for different kinds of incidents